Recently Facebook and Zong have merged to serve the common purpose of connecting more people to the internet with the free launch of basic services in Pakistan just like Telenor lately, according to a fresh statement issued by the companies.
Previously Telenor was the only one to offer such service in collaboration with Internet.org. All across Asia, Africa and Latin America, the specified service is almost available to more than 1 billion people. Zong aims to provide the service via freebasics.com website and mobile application which will be giving access to sectors of health, travel, news, jobs, education, sports and other services of women and entertainment to mention a few.
The marketing director of Zong, Mr.Peng said during the launching ceremony “We are excited to make the Internet available to millions of people in Pakistan through the launch of Free Basics by Facebook. This initiative will promote the use of the Internet and help enrich people’s lives with new opportunities”
Ms. Anna Nygren, Head of Growth Partnerships, APAC at Facebook addressed “Today’s launch of Free Basics in Pakistan with Zong, brings us one step closer to closing the global connectivity gap.”
HOW TO USE THIS SERVICE IF YOU’RE A ZONG USER?
- Enable your data service, log on to free basics.com or download mobile app of IOS/Andriod if you prefer so.
- Browse the websites available on Free Basics
- You won’t be charged for using any of the Free Basics services
- Remember that the data consumed by your smartphone in the background will be charged as per usual tariffs
- It is advised to disable auto-sync, or any other services and apps to avoid any unwanted data consumption
Zong users will be charged as per their data package offer upon accessing richer content such as videos and external links. Before accessing such content using Free Basic service, a pop up will appear notifying the same